As governor, Ed will work to ensure that every child has the opportunity for quality learning. In the past four years, Virginia dropped ten spots in Education Week Rankings from number four to 14. Just 10 years ago, Virginia ranked number one in the country. It’s T.I.M.E. for a student-centered education plan for the 21st Century. His education agenda is framed around four key priorities:
- Teacher Leadership. Greater freedom to innovate and work with parents to respond to the unique needs of individual children. This plan provides teachers professional autonomy to make decisions in the best interest of their students while ensuring accountability.
- Innovation. Virginia students will benefit by bringing innovation into the classroom to enable personalized learning.
- More Opportunities. Virginia students, teachers, and families will benefit from innovative solutions—driven by technology—to more efficiently deliver and monitor learning and teaching in the 21st century.
- Excellence. To secure optimum outcomes in student achievement, we must insist upon excellence at all points of the education experience—from teacher preparation to early childhood resources.
To improve our K-12 education system in the Commonwealth, Ed will:
- Cut the achievement gap in half in 10 years
- Become the most friendly state in the nation for special needs students
- Advance quality public charter schools in Virginia
- Promote policies that are fair to homeschool families
- Improve teacher compensation
- Establish a Teachers Cabinet
To read Ed’s “Excellent Education for ALL Virginians” Plan, click HERE.
In order for Virginia to grow, we need higher education to be more than a degree manufacturer. We need higher education to contribute to economic growth and job creation. To realize our full potential, we must first ensure that higher education is affordable. With commonsense reforms, strong partnerships and clear direction, our higher education institutions will thrive. As governor, Ed will work to make Virginia “The Opportunity Capital” of the Nation.
Through his higher education agenda, Ed will work to:
- Cultivate Potential Through World-Class Education and Training
- Unleash Potential Through Entrepreneurship and Business Growth
- Reward Potential Through Great Jobs and Productive, Fulfilling Careers
- Create the Opportunity Capital Partnership through Curriculum Alignment, Regional Partnerships, Internships and Externships for Work Experience, and Retention in Virginia of both in-state and out-of-state students.
- Work Together On Cost, Access, and Affordability through Results-Focused Funding
To read Ed’s Higher Education Plan for ALL Virginia, click HERE.